This course builds on the information provided in Project Management Essentials or IT Project Management Overview. It examines the specific areas of project team leadership and management.
You will develop an understanding of the human factors of project management and people-based management. This course includes discussion of current models in team motivation and integrates concepts of team motivation and behaviors into a single set of principles. You will develop an understanding of personality types and their strengths and weaknesses; human factors and team dynamics; key elements of team performance; the stages of team development; how to move teams forward and facilitate success; the use of personal space and resolution of team conflicts; how to manage good and bad behaviors.
Note: This is a core course in the Project Management Certificate Program. Successful completion fulfills 15 Professional Development Units that can be applied towards certification or renewal. This is PMI REP recognized course work.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Understand the basic personality types and how to leverage them.
- Understand how to motivate a diverse workforce.
- Facilitate team decisions.
- Manage and resolve interpersonal conflicts.
- Manage difficult team members.
- Strengthen team accountability.
- Identify the dynamics and importance of team communications.
- Implement basic leadership techniques to form and strengthen project teams.
Competencies covered in this course: Project Management
Intended Audience: Public sector employees who plan and manage projects.
Pre-requisites: IT Project Management Overview or Project Management Essentials